Have you ever been to the grocery store or some marketplace with a serious seafood spread laid out and seen something you couldn’t resist? Like a glistening pink-striped salmon fillet that looks perfect for grilling, or a bunch of succulent giant scallops for serving with roasted broccolini?
Whenever I see some really thick, plump white fish, I always think of ceviche. Unfortunately, where I live in Arizona, it’s not always reasonable to expect the best of the best when it comes to seafood selections. So when I go somewhere and find some amazing-looking fish, I know it’s gotta be time for something epic.
Now I’d eat ceviche almost any time of year, but right now it is a perfectly perfect dish to compliment the heat wave. Can you imagine this with a little cocktail on the patio? Or just a light Sunday lunch? I’m so glad I made this, because it was really excellent as both over the weekend.
Now, you probably don’t need any more prompting, but the health factor adds, if possible, even more to the appeal! Time to get looking for that irresistible fillet yet?
gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free (makes 4-6 servings)
- 1 pound white fish fillet, skinned and boned
- 1 c. lime juice
- ¼ large red onion, diced
- 1 medium tomato, diced
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 c. chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Salt, onion powder, garlic powder, to taste
- Chop the fish up into about ½” chunks. Combine the fish, lime juice, and onion in a bowl, making sure the fish is well covered in lime juice and cover. Alternatively, place all ingredients in a plastic bag, (placed in a bowl) so you can move the contents every once in a while to ensure even coating with lime juice. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight to acid-cook the fish. When the fish is opaque throughout it is ready.
- Drain the fish to get rid of excess lime juice.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix to combine. Serve chilled with pita chips, crackers, or tortilla chips.
Makes 4-6 servings
Nutrition for ¼ recipe: 180 calories; 7 g fat; 6 g carbs; 3 g fiber; 24 g protein