Well hello there, friends!
Welcome to another episode of what I ACTUALLY ate yesterday, and the workouts I REALLY did! The post of the week where you get to see me as a human being that isn’t always perfect but does her best and makes it work. There may not be any sobbing into cameras and back-stabbing going on, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t REALITY!
With that, let me begin by introducing you to my Wednesday as I ate it.
Sadly, I can’t say this is the best day I’ve had all week, as far as my “diet” is concerned (and by diet I simply mean the stuff I ate, not my “strict eating regimen.”)
However, I can feel good about the fact that I included protein in all of my meals, avoided added sugar, and the only “processed” foods I put in my mouth were made by me, with good, wholesome ingredients. Well, except the mini pretzels. I’m not counting my Diet Dr. Pepper or the little bit of port either.
I would say “don’t judge” …but then again I’m the one putting it out here for the world to view.
P.S. My “dinner” was weird because I ate a super filling lunch… with a little more chicken than I normally add to a salad… so I decided to snack a bit instead.
P.P.S. One of my goals is to spread out my meals more evenly throughout the day. Also, ideally, I would never eat pretzels, drink any kind of soda or alcohol, and I would vary the sources of my calories to not include so many delicious brownies (regardless of how healthy they may be.) But I am not perfect, and I have little enjoyments in moderation.
WIAW! What I Ate (on) Wednesday:
- 2 cups of coffee with 2 T. half and half
- About 3/4 c. chunks cantaloupe
- About 2 T. nuts – pistachios, almonds
- Slice of homemade sourdough bread
- 5 ounces of a chocolate smoothie – made the day before with cocoa powder, banana, Greek yogurt, unsweetened almond milk
- 2 T. Greek yogurt
- 1 fudgy low-carb brownie (recipe coming soon!)
Post workout, 12:30 pm:
- Protein shake (I don’t remember the brand, but it was 170 calories + 20 g protein)
- Another brownie!
- About 4 almonds
- Large salad made with spinach, roasted broccoli, mushrooms, ¼ of an avocado, balsamic vinegar, and about 4 oz grilled chicken
- 12 oz Diet Dr. Pepper
7:45 pm: (Try not to judge…)
- Yet. Another. Brownie. OMG.
- About ½ c. mini pretzel sticks
- About ¼ c. apple chips
- 3 oz port wine (usually only do this once or twice a week to keep such indulgences to a minimum)
My Sunday through Wednesday Workouts:
This week, I’m giving you my best workout outline + tips before I show you what I did:
Every time I do a strength workout, I ALWAYS do the heaviest weights I can safely lift, for about 6-12 reps in order to gain strength and muscle size. That being said, I almost always do as many reps as I can per set, to failure (when I can’t do another rep with good form), to ensure that I am working my hardest.
· I usually do 3-4 sets per exercise and between 2-4 exercises per muscle group each time I work out. Oh and 2-3 muscle groups per workout… 4-6 days/ week.
· To keep my heart rate up + burning calories, while staying warm + pumped for the next exercise, I try not to rest more than 45 seconds in between sets.
· I like mixing in drop sets when/wherever I can to really burn up a muscle group. This means doing as many reps as possible of the highest weight I can, dropping to the next weight down and doing it again without resting in between… usually for 4-5 weights in a row.
· While it’s possible to get an effective workout in less time, I prefer to give each session no less than 45 minutes… up to 120 minutes. It really just depends on the day, the muscle group (legs always get at least 90 minutes) and my energy level.
· It’s all hard work, but… I want PROGRESS, y’all!
- Rest day – we went out AZ wine country touring!
- Shoulders, abs, biceps*
- 55 minute high-intensity cycling class
- 55 minutes strength + stretching yoga
- 55 minute full-body cardio + conditioning boot camp class
- Back + Chest + Triceps*
P.S. Don't forget to check out all my posts like this from LAST week!
Breakfast Monday – in which you get one or more amazing + healthy breakfast recipes. (Week one)
Tips Tuesday – involving helpful tips about cooking, life, and/or fitness. (Week one)
Wednesday: Wild Card Wednesday – in which I may provide anything from a radical new recipe to cat memes for your viewing pleasure. (Week one)
What I Ate on Wednesday and Weekly Workout – It’s a twofer. I thought maybe you’d like to see what I REALLY eat on a day to day basis… whether or not you judge me for it afterward. Plus, workouts I actually did over the week/ how to do them. (Week one)
TGIF Dessert Day – It’s the weekend and we want our cake. Only these cakes won’t make you heavier by next Monday, so you can keep up with those awesome goals of yours. (Week one)