What does the end of the weekend, a long, stressful day, and having numerous random body aches have in common? That’s right. It means a detox is in order!
Now, detoxes and voodoo magic are commonly believed to be the same thing but, in general, this is not the case. If you break down the word “de-tox” we have something that just means, “to remove the toxins.”
Sometimes, yes, detoxes can be murky, if not really nutrient-dense, juice cleanses full of beetroot, celery and cayenne pepper (hold the eye of newt)... and sometimes they’re more of the whole-natural-no-bs-food approach. In this case, we’re basically just getting in a bunch of healthy stuff that will help us get rid of the bad stuff.
I intentionally made this bisque only out of ingredients I thought would be super beneficial for the purpose of cleansing. After all, what good is a recipe that re-toxes while it de-toxes? Hence, our lineup for today:
- Zucchini: full of cleansing water and fiber, as well as potassium and b-vitamins
- Garlic & onion: contain sulfur compounds known to help prevent cancer, and have antibacterial properties.
- Coconut oil: the medium chain fatty acids it contains are great brain food. One of these, lauric acid, helps boost the immune system.
- Greens: besides fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that boost your energy and immune system, greens contain chlorophyll, which rids the body of all kinds of toxins!
- Ginger: helps reduce pain and inflammation and helps regulate blood sugar
- Turmeric: powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties
- Coconut milk: high in vitamins and minerals, and a great substitute for any dairy product when detoxing or reducing inflammation
- Bone broth (if using): rich in protein, minerals, collagen, glucosamine & chondroitin, all of which are easily absorbed by the body and can aid gut health, joint health, immune health, and fight inflammation
Altogether this makes a tasty (yes, vegetable-y, but flavorful) concoction, and it’s a great start – or middle, or end – to a serious detox day! Make extras to freeze, and you’ll be ready for anything!Read More